Sunday, November 18, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

I have always made Beef Stroganoff using ground beef, noodles, and a creamy sauce made from sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. There is nothing wrong with it, but tonight I tried making a different version of Beef Stroganoff that my friend Michaela showed me. I am sure I left out something from what she originally told me, but this is what I did :)

Ingredients:
Sirloin Beef Tips - 1 lbs (room temp)
Olive Oil
Butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
Mushrooms
Onion - 1 medium
Seasonings to taste (I used garlic salt, pepper, and a hickory flavored steak seasoning)
Cream of Mushroom Soup - 1 can
French Onion Soup - 1 can

Instructions:
Start by heating a little butter and olive oil in a saute pan and cook/sear the beef tips on all sides. You don't have to cook them all the ways through because they will cook more in the crock pot. Season the beef with whatever spices you like.

Once the beef tips are seared, place them in the crock pot along with the french onion soup and cream of mushroom soup. To get the flavor of the beef drippings out of the pan, heat the chicken broth in the same saute pan while scraping the bottom. Add this to the crock pot as well. Cook on high for about 2 hours and reduce heat to low.

About an hour before you are ready to eat, slice up the onion and mushrooms and saute in some butter and olive oil. Since mushrooms loose their moisture when salted, wait to season the mushrooms until they are fully heated through. I also added a little balsamic vinegar and white wine to give the veggies more flavor. Add the sauteed onions and mushrooms (and any liquid) to the crock pot as well. Continue to cook on low for another hour.

Be sure to stir periodically and taste the sauce; adding seasonings as you like. I like the sauce to be a little thicker, so I added some corn starch as well. If you do use corn starch or flour to thicken the sauce, be careful not to add too much, or it can alter the flavor of the sauce.

When you are ready to eat, serve the beef tips and sauce over cooked noodles (or rice) and enjoy :)

This made enough for Brandon and I to each have a good sized portion tonight, and still have about 4 servings of leftovers. Yum! Thanks Michaela!


This is not my picture, but it looked similar to mine.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! My mouth is watering, excellent picture too! :) I like the balsamic and white wine...I will definitely be trying that next time.

    Also, I sometimes use 1/4 to 1/2 packet of french onion soup to add even more flavor because that is what my husband loves! :)
    ~Michaela

    ReplyDelete