Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Apple Pies

This fall I went to an apple orchard with Brandon's sister, Teresa, and her two girls, Morgan and Tessa. It was a LOT of fun and the apples were a really good deal. I ended up buying a whole bushel of apples (40lbs) and made a bunch of apple pies. I think over about 2 1/2 weeks I made 25 Dutch Apple Pies. I took a few to work, gave some to neighbors, and Brandon ended up taking some of them to school. We even took orders and sold some of the pies to the teachers at Brandon's school :) 
Soooo... here is the recipe!
 CRUST: (makes 2 crusts)
     2 cups flour
     1 tsp salt
     2/3 cups shortening or lard
     5-7 Tbs cold water

1) Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening 1/3 cup at a time using a pastry blender. Cut until crumbly.

2) Add 1 Tbs water at a time, use just enough water so dough will stick together.

3) Place 1/2 of dough between 2 pieces wax paper and roll out crust using rolling pin. Place rolled dough into greased pie dish/tin.

4) Peel and thinly slice apples until pie is full, slightly heaped in middle. I used a combination of Cortland and Johnathan apples.

5) Sprinkle apples with 1/3 cup sugar, and cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.

TOPPING:
     1/2 cup sugar
     3/4 flour
     5 1/2 Tbs butter

1) cut sugar, flour, and butter together using a pastry blender. Cut until crumbly. Add a little cinnamon to taste. Sprinkle over apples.

2) Bake pie at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake another 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Thanks for making Sean and I this pie, it pie was absolutely delicious. I am thrilled I can now add this recipe to my repertoire!

    :) Michaela

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited you're blogging now! It's a really fun way to get to know what everyone is up to!!

    ReplyDelete