Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cutting Basil

The other day I was making a margarita pizza (tomato, basil, and mozzarella) and I got to thinking that cutting the basil (or other leafy herbs in general) can be a little tricky. Hence this post about cutting basil :)

Here is my basil plant that I have growing in my kitchen window. Since I finally got tomatoes out of my garden I thought a pizza would be yummy. Step 1) Pick off the plant, wash, and dry the basil leaves.
Step 2) Layer leaves on top of one another with the biggest leaf at the bottom and smallest at the top.

Step 3) Starting at one end, roll up the leaves until you have a nice little roll.
 Step 4) As thinly as you can, slice the roll of leaves to get long strips.
Step 5) Rotate your knife and slice the leaves in half lengthwise to get smaller strips of the herb. Sprinkle on whatever you like and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment