Tuesday, July 3, 2012

X-mas in July Cake

This weekend will be my family's Christmas in July celebration with the majority of my Dad's side of the family. We all gather at my Aunt and Uncle's cabin and stay for the weekend. It is always a good time, lots of food, relaxing, card games, and even some synchronized swimming. Each family that comes is "in charge" of a meal, so my contribution to the meal my family is in charge of is....a cake. Go figure right? I am using the same pans that I did for the Seussical cake, but this time I am tailoring it more to our family's get together.

The layers are:
Top layer- Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
2nd layer-  Aunt Lois' Cake (a mandarin orange cake with a light pineapple frosting)
3rd layer- Butter cake with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting
Bottom layer- Fudge brownie with vanilla buttercream frosting

I originally wanted to do all light fruity flavors like lemon, raspberry, strawberry, orange, etc since it is summer and going to be HOT. However my mom said I HAD to do at least one chocolate layer. Then I asked my uncle (the host of the weekend) what his favorite kind of cake was, and he chose carrot. Aunt Lois' cake is one of my dad's favorite and has been in my family for a while, so that was a given. The butter cake with raspberry filling was one of the flavors at Brandon & I's wedding, so that is why I chose that flavor.

As for decorations... I am not quite sure how I will tie it all together yet... I was thinking of green frosting to look like grass all over the cake, then have little sculptures of summery things that remind me of Christmas in July. I guess we will see how it turns out!

I will do separate posts for the recipes of the cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment